News Contact Development

Sales Tax Frequently Asked Questions

Who needs a license to do business in the Town?

The Town of Timnath requires that any entity doing business within the Town limits obtain a Town Business and Sales Tax License . This includes businesses making retail sales and businesses that provide services only. A business with more than one establishment engaged in business in the Town needs to obtain a separate license for each location.
You are considered engaged in business if you:
• Directly, indirectly or by a subsidiary maintain a building, store, office, salesroom, warehouse or other place of business within the taxing jurisdiction; or
• Send one or more employees, agents or commissioned sales persons into the taxing jurisdiction to solicit business or to install, assemble, repair, service or assist in the use of its products, or for demonstration or other reasons; or
• Maintain one or more employees, agents or commissioned sales persons on duty at a location within the taxing jurisdiction; or
• Own, lease, rent or otherwise exercises control over real or personal property within the taxing jurisdiction; or
• Make more than one delivery into the taxing jurisdiction within a twelve-month period.

What is the fee for the business and sales tax license?

There is a $50.00 non-refundable fee for the business and sales tax license.

Does my business and sales tax license expire?

Yes, business and sales tax licenses are valid from January 1st to December 31st of the year they are issued.

Is there an annual renewal fee for my business and sales tax license?

Yes, there is a $50.00 non-refundable annual renewal fee due by December 31st.

How do I apply for a business and sales tax license?

What if I am doing business from my home?

The Town’s Planning and Building Department requires that you obtain Home Occupation Approval if you are doing business from a residence within Town limits. To receive this approval, please go to and complete the business application along with the Home Occupation Form.

What is sales tax?

The sales tax is a transaction tax upon all sales, purchases, and leases of tangible personal property and taxable services sold at retail or leased by persons engaged in business in the Town of Timnath. Sales tax is collected by the vendor or lessor and remitted to the Town.

What is sales tax rate?

The sales tax rate is 3%, with the exception of food for home consumption, which is taxed at 2.25%.

What is the definition of food for home consumption?

Food for home consumption includes all food except:
• prepared food or food for immediate consumption
• carbonated water marketed in containers
• chewing gum
• seeds and plants to grow food
• prepared salads and salad bars
• cold sandwiches
• deli trays
• food or drink vended by or through machines or non-coin operated coin-collecting food and snack devices on behalf of the vendor.

Does the Town have lodging tax?

Yes, the lodging tax rate is 3%. for rooms or accommodations in the Town, if the occupancy is for a period of less than 30 consecutive days.
Lodging tax is imposed on the leasing, rental or furnishing of any room or other accommodation in any hotel, apartment-hotel, motel, guesthouse, trailer court, guest ranch, mobile home, automobile camp or any such similar place to any person who, for a consideration, uses, possesses or has the right to use or possess such room or other accommodation for a total continuous duration of less than thirty (30) days.

How do I remit lodging tax?

Those businesses providing lodging services must obtain a separate Lodging Tax License. Lodging tax is remitted on a separate lodging tax return each month.

How do I remit sales tax?

Vendors submit sales tax returns according to the reporting period assigned to them when licenses are issued. Vendors may remit tax monthly, quarterly or annually depending on the amount collected. Each return is completed within the MuniRevs portal on or before the 20th day of the month following the reporting period.

Whom do I remit the taxes to?

As a Home Rule City under the Colorado Constitution, the Town of Timnath has the authority to collect its own taxes. The 3% sales tax that you collect for the Town of Timnath must be remitted directly to the Town of Timnath. The state and county tax should be remitted directly to the Colorado Department of Revenue.

When is my tax return due?

A return is due no later than the 20th of the month following the reporting period set up for your account (monthly returns are due the 20th of each month; quarterly returns are due April 20, July 20, October 20, and January 20; and annual returns are due January 20). If the 20th falls on a weekend or holiday the tax return is due the following business day.

Am I required to file a return if no taxes are owed?

Yes. A tax return still needs to be filed even if no sales is due for the reporting period. Failure to file a return will result in a deficiency notice.

What happens if I fail to file a tax return on time?

Tax returns received after the due date will be considered late. These additional fees will be assed: Penalty of ten percent of the taxes due or ten dollars whichever is larger and interest of one percent per month of delinquency.

What types of payments and form of payment is accepted when using the online tax system?

Acceptable forms of payment include E-checks, Master Card, and Visa.

Will I receive confirmation if I file and pay my taxes online?

Yes, you will receive an email notification that the return and payment were processed.

I overpaid my taxes. How do I get a refund?

A refund claim form would need to be filled out along with documentation as to the reason for the refund. Refunds will only be paid to the person who remitted the tax. The statute of limitations for refunds is three years from the date of sale.

I would like to correct a previous return that has already been filed. How do I do that?

If an error on a previous return was made, you will need to file an amended return form for that period.
If you paid too much on a return you need to fill out a claim for a refund and a check will be sent to you.
If you did not pay enough taxes for the period, the additional taxes must be remitted on the amended return. Penalties and interest may apply.

How do I make changes to my account?

Changes to business name and address can be made within your account in the MuniRevs portal at For all other changes notify the sales tax department at [email protected] in writing.

If I sell my business or discontinue my operations, what should I do?

Within 10 days after selling or discontinuing your business, you must notify the Town if writing of the closure. Please email a letter on letterhead to [email protected] noting the date of closing your business. You must also submit a final sales tax return and pay all taxes due. If a business is sold, the new owners must obtain a new business and sales tax license. Your license cannot be transferred.

How do I submit a tax return for a one-time sale?

Go to to register your account. When completing the application select “seasonal vendor” and in the business notes enter “one-time sales” and the period in which the sale occurred. You will be issued a business account and the sales tax return will be added for you to complete.
There is no fee for the one-time sale, however if you exceed one sale within a calendar year, you will be required to register for a sales tax/business license.

Where do I find the forms not available on MuniRevs?

Please send an email to [email protected] requesting the form you need.

Contact Information

For general inquiries: