UPDATE 5-9-19: Heavier than usual traffic may be present on the Harmony Rd. overpass of I-25 overnight Sunday, May 12th as the off-ramp from northbound I-25 to Colorado Highway 392 (the Windsor Exit) will be closed from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. Detouring traffic will exit at Harmony Road and proceed west across the overpass to reenter I-25 via the southbound on-ramp.
The I-25 North Express Lanes Project will conduct a full closure of the northbound I-25 off-ramp to Colorado Highway 392 on Sunday, May 12th, 9 p.m. to 5 a.m., to shift traffic onto new permanent pavement to open work areas to allow crews to continue ramp construction. This closure is weather dependent and will be rescheduled if conditions do not allow crews to perform necessary activities. Northbound I-25 off-ramp traffic will detour northbound on I-25 to Harmony Road. Traffic will turn left on Harmony Road and continue west to the southbound I-25 on-ramp. Traffic will continue south to the CO 392 off-ramp.
Throughout 2019 the I-25/CO 402 interchange will undergo substantial changes to create a new and improved interchange.
- January 6, the project team will close the southbound direction of the SE Frontage Road from CO 402 to CR 16. Following this closure, the SE Frontage Road will be used as a temporary northbound I-25 off-ramp to CO 402 while maintaining the northbound direction. In addition, the existing on-ramp from CO 402 to northbound I-25 will be closed. Access to northbound I-25 will be provided from the SE Frontage Road north of CO 402 at the River Ranch Parkway intersection. This intersection will be modified to a 3-way stop during construction. These traffic shifts will be in place until the intersection is opened in its final configuration in fall 2019.
- Reconstruction of the I-25/CO 402 interchange will flip the interchange so that CO 402 will pass over I-25, shift I-25 to the east to eliminate a sharp curve and construct a new frontage road to the east of the interchange.
- Roundabouts will be constructed on CO 402 at the junction of the I-25 ramps and the SE Frontage Road.
- In the final phase, scheduled for summer 2019, CO 402 from the northbound ramps to the southbound ramps will close for 120 days for construction.
What to Expect
- While most of the work will be performed outside the roadway, some nighttime lane closures will be required.
- CDOT will send advance notification of these closures and updates will be posted here as they become available.
- Construction activities are weather dependent and subject to change.
- Please watch for construction vehicles entering and exiting mainline I-25 and obey all posted signage in construction zones.
- In late summer 2019, crews will close CO 402 between the I-25 ramps. Watch for more details in spring 2019.
- To stay up-to-date on construction information and keep yourself informed on I-25 North Express Lanes: Johnstown to Fort Collins project news, visit CDOT website for details and updates, call the project hotline at 720-593-1996 or sign up for emails at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Construction of the I-25 North Express Lanes – Johnstown to Ft. Collins – is expected to be completed early in 2022.
Upcoming Travel Impacts
Ongoing Travel Impacts
- Expect nighttime lane closures throughout the project for the following:
- setting barrier on both sides of I-25;
- grade preparation and temporary asphalt paving; and
- restriping I-25 for required traffic shifts, including removal of barrier.
- Construction goals between CO 392 and Crossroads Boulevard include:
- widening I-25 for additional Express Lanes;
- relocating utilities;
- erecting retaining wall under CO 392; and
- constructing three water-quality ponds with accompanying drainage facilities.
- Cost: $300+ million The U.S. Department of Transportation (USDOT) has awarded CDOT and local partners a TIGER grant to help it fund this expansion of North I-25.
- Contractor: Kramer and IHC Construction Companies, LLC
- First Notice to Proceed:Early 2018
- Second Notice to Proceed: Summer 2018
- Construction: Fall 2018 through fall 2019
- Construction Complete/Toll Commencement: Early 2022